- Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field with a minimum undergraduate GPA
of 3.0 out of 4 (letter grade of B). If the degree is in physics,
would normally include upper-level classes in classical
mechanics, quantum mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and
thermodynamics and statistical mechanics (thermal physics).
- The GRE (Graduate Record Exam) is required. The GRE Physics Subject Test is recommended.
- 3 Letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose. As guidance, the statement should address
the following points, when relevant:
- Why do you wish to study physics?
- What skills or experiences particularly qualify you?
- Give an example of some difficulty you have
had to overcome in your studies so far.
- If you have pursued extracurricular interests (e.g.,
music, chess) or a previous career over an extended
period of time, please describe them.
- If you have already contacted a professor at USF about
possible research, please indicate this.
- If you will already have earned a master's degree at an
institution that offers a doctorate in physics, please
describe the circumstances that led you to leave that
institution and apply to USF. You should also ask
your letter-writers to address this.
- Students from non-English speaking countries are required to demonstrate proficiency
in English via the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
or one of several alternatives: please read carefully
the graduate school's language requirements.
Application Procedure and Checklist
Ask your three letter-writers to mail their letters to the department
address above; if they use the e-mail address, they should
also mail signed letters on institutional letterhead.
Ask the Educational Testing Service
to send your GRE scores
to the University of South Florida (code 5828), Department
of Physics (department code 0808).
Ask your previous academic institutions (undergraduate or
master's level, including Diplom, Laurea, etc.),
to mail official transcripts to the department address above.
If English is not your first language, ask for TOEFL scores
or other documentation (see above under Admission Requirements)
to be sent to USF.
- Submit the online Graduate Admission Application for the University of South Florida via https://secure.vzcollegeapp.com/usf/default.aspx?cid=87<id=2. During this process, you will be asked to pay a one-time application fee of $30.00 by credit card (Master Card, Visa, or Discover) or e-check.
- Mail or e-mail your application directly to the department at
Candice J. Pietri, Academic Program Specialist
Department of Physics, ISA 2019
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Avenue
Tampa, FL 33620-7100
The application packet should include
Students in US
Fall & Summer Admissions:
For Admissions Information